10.01.2009

What Bad Economy?

New bars and restaurants have been popping up faster than I can keep track of. We’ve already covered The Hill and Tin Roof near campus. Now there are two more in Bearden (short west), another one on the way on Sutherland and a resurrected fine dining restaurant just up the road. I haven’t been able to visit any of these places but I do have some balanced second-hand information to pass on. Let’s start some rumors!


Level 10 – Oh boy. The location of this place makes me nervous from the start. Situated on the west corner of The Shops at Western Plaza where Corky’s BBQ used to be, Level 10 is going for the double-whammy of Sports Bar/Live Music Venue. The location is actually pretty good and they rightly point out the ample free parking behind the building. They appear to be aiming for the budget and college crowd. The food menu is basic as it gets and the drink menu features lots of domestic beer deals, happy hours and nightly specials. Here is a not so good first impression of Level 10 by local blogger "Philly".


Hard Knox Pizzeria – In the same shopping plaza Hard Knox Pizzeria is right smack in the middle of the shops between Soho Café and the Runners Market. This is strictly a pizza joint. They bake their pies in a wood fired 850 degree oven, Neapolitan style. This I have to have, and soon. A particular friend has already given it the thumbs up and has become a regular in short time. Yes, they do serve beer, brewed by Knoxville’s very own Woodruff Brewing Company. I will be there very soon.

Dead End BBQ – This is a brand new one I just saw driving on Sutherland Ave. Naturally I stopped for a look and pictures. I don’t know anything about it other than what I read on their website and some random sports blog postings. I get the impression they are going to be good. According to the City of Knoxville’s website they have been approved to serve cold beer. Will this be the barbecue haven so many people have been waiting for? Opening date is Monday, October 5.

The Orangery – Knoxville’s classic fine dining restaurant has reopened with a redesigned bar area and new hours. Great to see them back in business, good luck. Read about it here.

5 comments:

  1. I approve of the toppings on that Pizza.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Green peppers, onions and pepperoni. Of course you approve! Why can't we have pineapple?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pineapples belong as decorations for the people of Waponi Woo, not on pizzas...Asshole.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, Drinking Knoxville! Thanks for your link to http://bluestreak.moxleycarmichael.com

    I also read Blog Eat Blog's description of Level 10 and it turned my stomach.

    Now that I've discovered you, I can't wait to come back!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're welcome CM, stop by for a drink anytime!

    ReplyDelete