6.14.2010

World Cup Fever

Have you heard about it? Apparently Patrick Sullivan's in the Old City didn't get the notice. I'm no soccer fan but I wanted to take in the USA vs. England match to experience the hype and hopefully see an exciting game at the highest level. King Randall The Insufferable and I decided to meet at a bar to watch the game, and naturally we waited until the last minute to choose our venue. The obvious downtown locations, Soccer Taco and Crown & Goose, were standing room only. I was already in the Old City and Sullivan's was open so I pressed my face to the window and saw a mostly empty bar. Great, problem solved.

It was only a few minutes until match time (kickoff?). The small TV behind the bar was tuned to something else and the large TV above wasn't even turned on. The single patron at the bar paid his tab and left. A soccer-seeking couple entered and left immediately, disappointed by the lack of soccer hooligans I suspect. So there I sat alone until KRTI strolled in. We had the game switched on the small TV. Eventually other patrons arrived and some were actual soccer fans there to watch the game, though not very many. The game was put on the big TV, a few more customers came in and the game turned out to be a dud, at least in my opinion. The USA earned a 1-1 draw on a lucky goal that was muffed by the English goal keeper. Overall it was a good time and the lack of soccer enthusiasm at Sullivan's didn't matter that much at all. The best part of the "experience" was a 4 -5 beer head start on the rest of the day.

2 comments:

  1. The Soccer match was awful to watch. Probably the worst since the last soccer match I watched, which was the match in which Zidane or whoever head-butted the opposing player and cost his team the match. I watched every painful and embarassing minute of it, and I did the same again for the US v UK match.

    I mean, fuck. Its time to put this soccer nonsense to bed. It sucks. Its fan sucks, its players suck. Its a boring game. Its not beautiful, its not anything. Its' as exciting as lawn bowling.

    And eat another dick if you're thinking "oh, another ignorant and boorish Yank chiming in about the game he doesn't understand." Fuck you and douchery. I love hockey for shit's sake. So I know about fringe sports.

    Yeah, I know the rest of the world loves it. They also love to avoid baths. Just because the rest of the world does it doesn't mean we have to.

    We became the greatest nation on Earth because we weren't araid to buck The World's trends. It shouldn't be surprising that our country is losing its greatness because it is trying so hard to "fit in" with the rest of the World.

    I wanted to give soccer a chance, but its had its chance. Its time to ban it outright.

    HL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, got it. Now maybe have a drink.

    ReplyDelete