1.07.2009

Beer After Workout

Ever on the cusp of 2 years ago, I have discovered a new way to enjoy beer, sort of. Recently I watched a TV program that said consuming a moderate amount of beer after a workout may be better at rehydration than drinking water - excellent news except for the moderate part. I did a little online research and found that a 2007 study conducted in Spain revealed the good news. In short, researchers claim that carbonation in beer is the secret that speeds the absorption of water by the body, plus beer contains sugars, salts and vitamins not found in water. The bad news is the moderate amount they recommend, roughly a measly pint of delicious beer. Nevertheless I have followed this advice religiously since seeing on TV. I don’t know that it has made one bit of difference with hydration, but I have noticed that it tastes better than water after a good workout (of course) and I enjoy it more than any other time I drink a beer (A beer, not 8 beers)
Will this new habit make any kind of difference? Probably not, most likely because I don’t think I can work out enough to counter the 6-pack a day average. That plus the beers I consume fall somewhere in the 200-300 calories per serving range. That’s why I reluctantly started going to the gym just a couple of years ago, and so far have been able to maintain my single goal of remaining under 200 lbs. Where am I going with this and what’s the point? Fuck, I don’t know. I’ll conclude by saying that when working out in the morning or lunchtime it is a special treat to have that 1 beer early in the day and get a head start on what’s to come later. Cheers to science!

3 comments:

  1. I agree, there is nothing better after a long bike ride or running, but you still have to drink water too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I work out early in he morning for an hour. I drink water when I work out and after taking shower, I drink beer and it really feels good. I drink it for moderation anyway. In fact, someone told me that it's not good but I do feel good drinking beer after work out. So I search if it's true but I'm happy now because I read your article. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fact of the matter is that the possibilities of positive effects from beer are endless.

    The author of this article makes the point that there are complex compounds in beer that are organic and make interacts with the body in uniquely interesting ways:

    http://www.beer-universe.com/beer-education-article/2009-06-09/Beer-An-Organic-Boon-or-Bust/

    ReplyDelete