4.14.2009

Old City Saloon?

From a report on WATE.com we learn that former waste-of-space Club 106 will be replaced with a new country & western bar named Southbound Knoxville scheduled to open May 1st.

Ok, here we go again. Am I surprised that Club 106 closed? No. Do I want the Old City to succeed as a beacon for downtown visitors? Yes. Will this new establishment buck the trend of failures that has existed since Hooray's closed about a dozen years ago? I don't know.

I hope something good happens there but they have an uphill climb. The place is HUGE and rent adds up month after month regardless of whatever "slow" season happens to affect your joint. Running a business is tough, and I believe restaurants and bars are tougher due to fierce competition and slim profit margins. Does Knoxville have enough boot scootin', shit kicking patrons to support an Old City country bar? I guess we'll see, and don't get me wrong, I hope so, even though that isn't my particular scene. I'm going to keep my eye on this development and hope to report some good news as they open and grow their business.

Good luck, Southbound Knoxville, I think you're going to need it.

1 comment: