7.08.2009

Brixx Wood Fired Pizza

Has anyone tried Brixx Wood Fired Pizza? A couple of friends told me about this new pizza joint at Turkey Creek that opened about two months ago and I’ve been curious to try it. Pizza is one of my all time favorite foods so I’m always up for a good pie, but they hooked me when they said Brixx has an excellent draft beer selection. I didn’t want to drive all the way out there (from downtown) just for shits and giggles but luckily I had an errand out that way so I was able to stop in for a quick lunch.
Having already reviewed their menu online I knew exactly what I wanted to eat, the Bronx Bomber with spicy Italian sausage, prosciutto, Gorgonzola cheese, tomato sauce and fresh oregano for $10.95. All of their pizzas are 10” thin crusts, available on wheat or regular. I had the wheat crust with a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale to drink. The pie was good but not great, though it came out of the oven in a flash and had more fresh oregano than I’ve ever seen. To be fair I tend to like a hearty pizza with heavy toppings but this one was nice enough.

As you can see they do have a strong selection of draft beers with something on special each day of the week (the full beer list is on their website). They are hosting a beer pairing dinner at the end of July for $30 featuring Starr Hill Brewery, and they also have a “MBA” beer club if you’re into that sort of thing. They’re a full service bar with all the usual booze and a wine selection with more than a handful available by the glass. Not bad at all.

Overall I think Brixx is an alright place to go for some beer and pizza but not THE place to go for those things. I’d like to visit again when I have more time and try a sandwich made on their homemade focaccia bread and drink a few more beers. The staff was friendly and answered my questions adequately, the prices were a little high (but isn’t everything these days) and the place was very clean, so 2.5 out of 3 ain’t that bad. Give them a try if you’re shopping nearby and hungry for a quick bite or beer, cheers.

Brixx Wood Fired Pizza
Turkey Creek
10978 Parkside Drive
Knoxville, Tennessee 37934
Hours: Monday-Saturday: 11 a.m. – 1 a.m. Sunday: 11 a.m. – 11 p.m.
Phone: 865-288-4186
http://www.brixxpizza.com/knoxville.html

3 comments:

  1. Why is the "pIzZa" in their sign underlined, and expressed in a zany font?

    It makes me think of "Jackie's Whacky Golf" from the regrettable "Caddyshack 2" disaster.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That abomination should never be mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you have it right - "zaniness". That was Jackie Mason's finest role, but the movie did suck ass.

    ReplyDelete