7.01.2009

Gunthor's Galley

I’ve found a new place for fish and chips (and beer) – Gunthor’s Galley at East Town Center Mall. I’m almost never in that area but found myself running an errand nearby a couple of weeks ago and decided to swing by the mall. Ruby Tuesday is no longer operating there and Gunthor’s has occupied their old spot for over a year. Reluctant at first I decided to have a beer and give it a chance. The overall design hasn’t changed much but the menu is completely different from the tried and true chain concept; it’s a seafood restaurant with a Norwegian theme. I have no experience with that cuisine but the menu looks interesting and I plan to try a few of their unique items sometime.

The first time I was there I only drank beer, Shiner Bock, but they have about 8 taps to choose from (mostly domestic) and a large assortment of bottles including imports. A full bar and wine round out the booze selection. That day there were a couple of regulars there for some good conversation and I got to meet the owner, Curtis, and lovely bartender, Teri (I think). The place was hardly overrun with customers but had enough to make me comfortable about the kitchen, and to be fair it was well past prime lunchtime. I left knowing that I would have to come back for some food.

So my second trip there was on purpose, and yes it was an odd feeling driving straight to East Town Mall for the sole reason of eating at this place, but I’m glad I did. Fish and chips happen to be one of my favorite bar foods and I had to try it. The fish is fresh and hand battered, the chips were pretty standard but good, and the side of slaw wasn’t drowned in mayonnaise so everything worked out just fine. They also have mini hush puppy cakes that are delicious.

Each visit was at the end of lunchtime so I haven’t checked their happy hour prices or specials, I’m sure they have some though. Stop in and check it out for yourself. I don’t plan on making Gunthor’s my new hangout but it’s good to know it’s there if I feel like having a beer or a bite when I’m in the area.


4 comments:

  1. You could take the "prime lunchtime" and just shorten it to "primetime"

    Sincerely,

    Deion Sanders

    ReplyDelete
  2. The night was moist?

    ReplyDelete