3.09.2011

I has a sad

If you haven't heard by now that Old College Inn will be moving closer to the center of Cumberland Avenue, then please consider reading other blogs. Thanks.

We don't offer a lot of negative comments here regarding old favorites, particularly on The Strip since it is a markedly different place than when I fell in love with it. If I might become the proverbial old fart, I remember when the old location was revered and honored. The new home of OCI was an old house with brush all around it. Creepy at first, but you got used to it.

I'm not sure I can get used to the idea of OCI moving to the old Chilis. I understand the rationale of the owner, particularly regarding kitchen space. However, it's a risk in my layman's opinion to 'move' a household name. Fellow alums that visit Mackey and me all request -at length- to make OCI part of the visit, and it's a bar that I still frequented when I got down to Cumberland. It's a tie for many of us former students to The Strip's heyday...which we all understand now was insanely out of control. Way too sentimental I grant you. I hope they know what they are doing.

Good luck guys.

9 comments:

  1. I just wish they'd bring back The Lap...ooh, and Bart Mart.

    HL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sigh. Tall Paul played the library on Mondays. Last Lap had dollar longnecks on Wednesdays. Ivy's sucked every day. I wish I could turn back the clock...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bart Mart. Olympia and a jerk book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Said Reggie in a Rhaspy voice...

    "Sean, Man, put down that beer."

    Then he added something about Mexicans having great family values because so many of them live together in the same house.

    And that he "Ain't no truck."

    HL

    ReplyDelete
  5. And then I bought 5 gus deluxes as a night cap. Oh and gave a kid $50 bucks for a hat that only fit Mackey's head!

    SKM

    ReplyDelete
  6. You also bought like 2 dozen chicken soft tacos at a time after stumbling out of The Lap.

    Also, let us not forget "The Chrome God" at The Lap.

    HL

    ReplyDelete
  7. I once saw a man "use" the chrome god - everybody saw it because there wasn't a door.

    At least with OCI moving into this new location the 1st TN bank security officer will have job secuirty. -M

    ReplyDelete
  8. 99 cent chicken soft taco's were a godsend!

    SKM

    ReplyDelete
  9. Overheard a conversation at OCI yesterday. Target date for opening new location is April 1st.

    ReplyDelete