1.31.2011

Roger's Place

Over the weekend I had the pleasure of visiting a well established bar in west Knoxville that I rarely visit, Roger's Place on Kingston Pike. It's been around longer than I've lived here so I know it has some street cred, and I've been there a few times but not enough to act like I know the scoop. In fact, I was going in for a quick beer prior to a function at Rothchild's and was surprised to see that they are a full service bar with mixed drinks and, I presume, wine. So I opted for a vodka & tonic, then another. I asked the lone bar waitress for my tab and she replied "$4.50" and flitted away in a blur. Just as fast she returned with a printed tab and went over their happy hours, prices, etc. and I was delighted to get out so cheap! Admittedly these were well drink prices but still a damn good bargain. I don't know the well brand they serve and I don't plan on asking. It's just good to know they serve booze if you're in the need for it. This is also a Smoking establishment and, from what I could tell, everybody in the place was a smoker. I don't plan on making this a regular stop but it's worth a quick drink if you're killing time and don't mind smelling like an ashtray when you leave. Cheers!

Some numbers on my visit:

Patrons: 22 men, 2 women
Bar Stools: 10
Bar Staff: 1, efficient and very nice
Happy Hour: $2.25 wells
Smokiness: 4 of 5 cigs


photo via: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/

7 comments:

  1. It would be better if there was a "D", making it "Rodgers".

    Sounds kind of dirty that way.

    HL

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sound like Polish. And no, I don't know any bars in Rogersville either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is the others Roger's Place location still in business, at Tazewell Pike & I-640?

    It was sort of around the side of that strip mall where a waterbed store used to be.

    They were famous foe their hot dogs, if I recall correctly. It's been years since I was there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know if they have another place or not. I thought they used to have a place on Middlebrook close to where the bbq joint is now, but I'm not sure because I never went there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think only 1 Rogers is left now. they used to have all the ones mentioned. I remember my buddy telling me back in 1982 how good the hotdogs were. They used to be in the stip mall near Ray's ESG. A long time establishment, but different owners now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember the one off Tazewell Pike. There was a Hardees right beside the strip mall. That Rogers was fun, but kept weird hours. Last time I went was probably fifteen years ago, pretty sure that Rogers shut down afterward.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Regarding the Tazewell Pike area, there's a good little dive bar called "Our Place" just up the street from Louis' Drive-In.

    Plenty of smoke, no fancy beers, mostly men, friendly servers. I've stopped in a few times in the afternoons.

    It's undergone a few name changes over the years. I can remember when it was an orthodontist's office.

    ReplyDelete