11.25.2008

The Shield Finale

After airing for 7 seasons on the FX network it looks like lead character Vic Mackey has come to the end of his career as a corrupt police detective. Tonight’s episode will be the series finale, so if you are not already a fan of the show there probably isn’t any reason to watch. However if you like gritty, somewhat realistic TV shows I would recommend renting the series and watching it from start to finish because it is that good. My namesake’s demise aside, I’m not too terribly upset that the show is ending. I’ve watched the show for 5 seasons (caught the first 2 on DVD) and that’s long enough for a drama series with complex story lines and characters.
Yesterday as I was trolling Google for Mackey images to include in this post I happened upon a link that I found interesting and almost relevant to this blog (Can you say DUI or PI?). Now bear with me, the YouTube link I’m providing is 27 minutes long, but I think it’s worthwhile if you’ve got nothing else to do and want to hear some interesting views about our legal system. The video features a Virginia attorney discussing why you should never talk to the cops and why you should always plead the 5th Amendment. Afterward he allows a police detective and current law student a rebuttal (see part 2, to the right) that is also worthwhile. The funny thing is that the cop/law student in the 2nd clip looks a lot like Vic Mackey, although with a cop ‘stache for a more realistic look.

I’ve included the YouTube link to “Don’t Talk to Cops, Part 1” here. You can click on Part 2 after the jump. To save time I’ve condensed the essence of both speeches below:

Part 1 – Don’t talk to the cops, ever
Part 2 – He’s right

2 comments:

  1. Mackey, like Tony Soprano, reminds you why he is a shitheel. Sympathetic and charming, but a fucking prick in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think they left it too open at the end. Mackey will be back.

    ReplyDelete