10.07.2008

KBJ Countdown: 4 Days...



The Knoxville Brewers Jam is a mere 4 days away and I couldn't be more excited. What could be better than enjoying beautiful fall weather and drinking flavorful, fresh beer all afternoon long? The current forecast for Saturday is mostly sunny with a high of 82 - perfect! Tag Berauscht has previewed a good number of the brewers that will participate at the Jam this weekend, and following his example I would like to introduce a regional favorite that has served us well in the past, Foothills Brewing Company.

The folks in Winston-Salem, NC have a pretty good local brewery to call their own. I was lucky enough to sample their brew a couple of years ago when visiting W-S for a Davis Cup tie with Lord von Lord. Arriving at the Joel Coliseum thirsty for a beer I was sorely disappointed when I got to the concession stand and saw the standard, shitty offerings of domestic beer. I was resigned to drinking this through the weekend if necessary, so I got us a couple of Butweipers and went to find our seats. It was only a few minutes later when we found our seats and noticed a beer vendor situated directly beside our entrance - it was Foothills Brewing. Fortune had spread her legs for us and we took full advantage of this offering. We drank their beer for 3 straight days and got our fill of the Salem Gold and Pilot Mountain Pale Ale.

These are both good beers and I suspect at least one of them to be on hand at KBJ this weekend, probably the Salem Gold. As you can see in the image above the alcohol volume is lower than a lot of beers and it is a light, easy drinking beer. Check out their website for a full list of their brews and hope they bring a couple you want to try. For example, I would like them to bring the Seeing Double IPA but it just ain't gonna happen. They have a nice list of seasonal brews that they could bring also: German Alt, Scottish Ale, Oktoberfest, Maibock, etc. Maybe even the Sexual Chocolate for no other reason to show off their impressive art work of a strong, black woman representing their Imperial Stout.

I returned to Winston-Salem earlier this year for another Davis Cup tie and stayed closer to town and was able to visit their brewery restaurant a few times. I practically lived there during my stay and recommend a visit if you happen to find yourself there (the fish & chips kick ass). I think I remember having their brown ale, definitely had their ESB, Pilsner and aforementioned Seeing Double IPA. Basically I don't think you will have a problem enjoying their beer. Just find a style that fits your taste and give it a try.

1 comment: