10.28.2008

Work Less, Drink Less?

I took off work most of last week and returned yesterday to a shitload of catch-up work like you’d expect. During my time off there were several drinking occasions I took full advantage of, most notably the "Drunkard’s Breakfast" hosted by Lord von Lord, plus the weekend, the football game, etc. Aside from the heroic intake of Irish whiskey, bloody marys, Maker’s Mark and beer at LVL’s last Wednesday, the rest of my “drinking time” was underwhelming at best. Like I said, I did drink at times, but having 5 consecutive days off I expected to have at least a minor 3-day bender at some point. I’m pretty sure there were a couple of days I didn’t consume a drop of alcohol.

This makes me wonder if my drinking habits revolve completely around work. I don’t know how else to explain it. If I’d made plans and gone out of town somewhere conducive to drinking (a vacation) things may have been different. There’s something about a $200 hotel room, travel expenses, and being away from home that makes you feel like you have to go out and spend $5 a beer or $8 for a mixed drink and force yourself to have a good time. Apparently staying at home causes the opposite effect, for me at least.

So there I was, mostly sober. Sober for no reason at all. Sober in spite of not having to go to work. Sober with a keg of beer sitting in my kitchen. I can’t put my finger on it. Thursday I was recovering, but not from a hangover. It was a pork induced, cholesterol-fat attack that kept me on the couch most of the day.
Sunday I had no excuse, yet still I did not drink even though I had to work the next day. You’d think the glum notion of returning to work with the 9 – 5er’s could’ve provided some motivation, but no. I was riding high, feeling relaxed and refreshed from so much time off work. Fucking relaxation, why do you make me unthirsty?

Yesterday I returned to the office and found the heap of work I’d left behind the past 5 days. Oddly I was alone all day, the boss and receptionist absent in some peculiar day of hooky. The phone rang, the fax rang, and my emails were backed up a mile long. Shit. What now? Oh yeah, I’ve got to prepare for a conference coming in town this weekend. I’ve got seminars to arrange. I have dumb asses calling with dumb ass questions. Man, this must be why I took off last week, because all this work. Do you see where this is going? After work I felt the need to relieve some stress and went to the gym for a nice, short workout. But that wasn’t enough to make things right, not just yet. Something was out of place. My hand felt empty and useless. I turned on the football game and poured a beer, then another, and another…
I’m back!! (at work)


2 comments: