10.20.2008

Monday Hangover

Friday Offensive –I started drinking after work on Friday around 5:30 and by 10:00 had managed to offend most everyone around me, including close friends and strangers alike. The party I’d been invited to was at a different location than I thought, so I decided not to go to avoid drinking and driving - smart choice by me, unfortunate for innocent bar patrons. So without any party food to graze on I proceed to imbibe on an empty stomach. Things were going swimmingly and I met my friends from out of town, caught up on some news, had some more beer, and then shots were ordered. Soon after that I became surly, then angry, then offensive to the point of insulting friends and cursing aloud. My out of town friends would not contact me the rest of the weekend, so I must owe them an apology.

Bleak Outlook – The football Vols managed to eke out a 34-3 victory over the lowly Bulldogs of Starkville last Saturday night, but don’t let the score fool you into thinking it was a pushover. Leading only 6-3 at halftime the Vols looked anemic at best before gaining momentum in the 3rd quarter, then adding 2 late INT returns for touchdowns in the 4th to pad the score. Well, congratulations Phil on your first SEC victory midway through the season. Enjoy it before Nick Saban and Alabama come to town next week and paint the town Crimson.


Apparently the fans have decided to save their time and money, judging from the empty parking lots and campus area early afternoon. I realize it was a 7:00 pm kickoff, but if we were even ½ decent there would be traffic jam on the strip and downtown area with tailgaters. These photos were taken around 1:30 – 2:00 pm – pathetic. Those aren’t Halloween decorations you see, the Fort has been abandoned by hopeless UT students!

A friend who is a liquor sales rep told me their orders/sales on the strip are down about 30%. For those of you unfamiliar with the restaurant/bar industry, that is very significant. Most of the bars on the strip have traditionally counted on football season to boost sales and keep them afloat all year. Bruce Pearl has become their savior the past two seasons with a reinvigorated basketball team that takes up the slack of a lackluster football program. We’re now a hoops school, yea!

Season Change – Whiskey Season is nigh! After a perfectly sunny & warm day last weekend for Brewers Jam, the cool weather has arrived and fall feels like it’s supposed to in East TN. I’m looking forward to enjoying a bottle of Maker’s Mark or Jameson’s, maybe as soon as this week. I’ll try to behave myself as not to further offend Scarlett, King Randall, my bartender friends, my neighbors, and even no-name strangers. Be warned Tag Berauscht & Lord von Lord – I’m an arsehole!!

2 comments: