8.04.2008

Monday Hangover

Ah yes, another weekend in the books. I have to admit up front that I'm not as hungover as usual following a full weekend of drinking. So that possibly means I need to ramp up my alcohol intake or that I'm becoming immune to this notion of hangovers. Either way I'm not used to feeling so bright on a Monday morning.

Let's briefly take a look at the Friday predictions: from our group I'm sure we all overindulged multiple times, Scarlett did encounter some drama, King Randall is MIA, Lord von Lord talked heaps of shit, Tag angered his better half, and yours truly did visit a local bar for the first time - The Pint House. Pretty good, but those are easy predictions when you know your own group of drunks. Sports: Punkin-head Phil was certainly excited at some point about the Vols, USA did beat Russia by 21 points, Manny Ramirez did homer/Ken Griffey Jr. did not, Rafa Nadal did not win in Cincy but will become the new world #1 tennis player, and yes the NFL game did suck but in a good way. All in all I'd say not too shabby with my first installment of predictions.

Moving on to drinking. Fridays afternoons have become more and more difficult to stay sober and it really puts a hindrance on weekend drinking. Since I usually take that afternoon off work it only makes sense to have that first beer or drink with (or in place of) lunch. Typically I can pace myself or modestly have only 1 or 2 drinks and get on with some errands or something to occupy my time until proper evening drinks. But throw another drunk in the mix, let's say Tag Berauscht, and things get dicey. With a name that loosely translates to "Day Drunk" you know you're in for it. Peer pressure makes the world go 'round and also helps with that extra push when you're tempted by that 3rd or 13th drink.

So as we drink ourselves into a pleasant afternoon buzz, Tag is called away by the missis and I am summoned to drink with another liver-hater, Lord von Lord - the old 1-2 punch. We visit the Pint House. Then Puleo's, then downtown. You get the picture - I was shithoused by 9 pm. Kinda sucks to be done so early but it gives me an early start for Saturday.

Come to think of it I didn't do too much on Saturday (pauses)...



Okay, I'm drawing a complete blank, so it must have been a good day.

Sunday was unusual. Typically I'm in bed to at least noon before I crawl out and face the rotten day. This Sunday not only was I up before 8 AM, I actually followed through with plans to go hiking at House Mountain with Tag. In short it was an excellent hike - about 4.5 miles, great weather, rugged trails but not to rough, and terrific views. We visited a friend who lives nearby and had a few cold beers before heading back to Knoxville.

I decided to have bloody marys and invited some folks for the afternoon. These were made from scratch - no pre-made mixer here, just plain ole tomato juice and all the spices and fixins. They were pretty damn tasty, but I can only drink about 2 of them before it feels like I've eaten a 30 oz. ribeye. So it is important to go for flavor and make 'em spicy - horse radish is a key ingredient in addition to all the other hot spices. IPA got me through the rest of the night and man, wasn't it wonderful to see the mother-effin' NFL on television again! The sight of a shitty pre-season game lets us know the real thing is only 1 month away. (Calgon take me away!) So maybe that's why I didn't have much of a hangover this morning - healthy exercise, healthy drinks and soul-pleasing NFL football on the telly. Things are looking up for the rest of the year!

2 comments:

  1. Having double vision by the time Jared "he'd make a fine guard" Lorenzen took the field was a nightmare. Big screen tv + big fat ass makes for a troubling image, times two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot about that beast! Even worse was Colt Brennan's throwing motion - bad enough to make Jim Plunket look good.

    ReplyDelete