9.24.2008

Professional Drinker?



Reds Pitcher Kent Mercker on his future: "I'm starting my new profession -turning vodka into urine."
That is the best quote of the year so far from a professional athlete. Apparently Mercker is nearing the end of his long career in baseball and the quote is a reply to an 8 page letter to potential free agents. From the Dayton Daily News:
KENT MERCKER, who hasn’t pitched early June due to a bad back, was handed an envelope in the clubhouse and he quickly ripped it open, scanned the thick multi-paged letter and tossed it into the trash.

“Talk about a waste eight pages of paper,” he said. “It was addressed to: ‘All potential free agents.’ “

Mercker will be a free agent, but as he said, “What kind of market is out there for me?” Then he paused and said, “Well, hey. I’m left-handed, I’m 40 and I’m well-rested.”

Mercker has tried to play long toss and throw off the mound, “But my back is not working.” Most likely he is headed for retirement and said, “I’m starting my new profession — turning vodka into urine.”

No comments:

Post a Comment